Saturday, February 9, 2019

Snowbound?

Today it is cold and clear, but snowless, on Cape Cod. 
This seems unusual for this time of year. We haven't had snow of any consequence this season, but on the West Coast I have loved ones who are experiencing an unusually large amount of snow. Such is the juxtaposition we find ourselves in.
In this atmosphere I am preparing for a day of cleaning and organizing.
Before I begin I start going through the items accumulated on the dining room table. Some are books left over from our last trip. I put them away in the library and find myself going over books in the travel section of the shelves.
I find a slim suede-bound volume. I know the name before I pull it out.
Snowbound. A poem by John Greenleaf Whittier. 

I remember receiving this book, when I was in my early teens, from a box of items that had come from my grandparents' house I seem to recall but it isn't completely clear. I believe from my mother's side but maybe my fathers' side since they moved into an apartment around that time? I remember at the time, one winter evening, sitting in my robe with some romantic notion of reading it and getting inspired but I don't recall ever reading it all the way through.
The book has traveled with me through the various apartments I've lived in. When I had only a few books on my shelf, it was there. Now I have a huge number of books and it is 'lost' in the shelves. I actually have a poetry section, but it is not there; instead, it is in the travel section for some reason.
 Today I thought it might be worth something after all this time. There is no date inside but the publisher is not the original. 

I looked online and found similar volumes for sale for under $20, although none exactly like this one. I suspect no major find here.

However, while looking for a date, or any other information, I noticed two sheets at the back of the book that were uncut.
And inside... a note which you can barely see in the photo above:

It is a fragment of what looks like a cocktail napkin. In ballpoint pen it says: 
This is to remind you of me. Ha Ha
My goodness! What mysterious message!
When was this written? By whom? Was it ever found by the person it was intended for? My imagination instantly conjurs a romantic story involving a lost love. 
But I can also take it as a message to me. The person who slipped it in there, maybe not the person who had the book before me, had no idea who would find it... thus the 'ha ha'?
It is nice to get a note from someone who I don't know.
I put the note back. Someone else will find it some day.
So I am not snowbound but since it is cold, inside tasks were planned.
I did do one of my cleaning tasks but the note has drawn my heart in different directions. Ah, the 'gottas' vs. the 'wannas'. 
I have a sign on my refrigerator from my original mentor, my childhood neighbor who was from Georgia and made wedding cakes for a living. It says: UGOTTAWANNA.
In other words, Desire is Mandatory.
Following the truth in my heart to join the 'gottas' and 'wannas' and make them one.

No comments:

Post a Comment